Air Showers are self-contained chambers installed at entrances to clean rooms and other controlled environments. They minimize particulate matter entering or exiting the clean space. Personnel and materials entering or exiting the controlled environment are “scrubbed” by high velocity HEPA-filtered air jets with velocities of 20-22m/s (4000 – 4300 fpm).Contaminated air is then drawn through the base within the unit, filtered and recirculated. Kaizen is a leader in air showers for demanding applications in the micro-electronics, semiconductors, pharmaceutical, spray painting, lab animal research and food markets. The present Kaizen Air Shower features a field-programmable microprocessor control that offers the maximum application flexibility of any unit on the market.
The greatest source of particulate contamination in a clean room is the operator. Air showers are installed between change areas and the clean room. The air shower enhances clean room operating protocol by serving as a reminder to all operators that they are entering a controlled environment. Personnel therefore develop the habit of gowning up properly before entering the air shower.
- Pharma Production
- Micro-Electronic Fabrications and Production Units
- Semi-Conductor Production Lines
- Basic and Applied Science Research Laboratories
Kaizen is the company in the industry to validate the efficiency of our air showers using the body box test, a method pioneered by Kaizen.
- New clean room garments without laundry processing, which have residual particulate contamination from manufacturing in a non-clean room environment, are used.
- The operator gowns up (in a jumpsuit, booties, gloves, mask and hood), and enters a specially sealed enclosure (the body box). This enclosure is equipped with vertical laminar flow.
- The operator performs a series of standardized physical movements in order to induce the generation of particles in the body box, for a specific duration.
- A particle counter connected to the base of the body box measures particle count levels. This count is the baseline level.
- The operator gowns up using another garment from the same batch.
- The operator proceeds into the air shower (device under test), for a shower cycle.
- The operator exits the air shower and proceeds into the body box. In the body box the operator performs the same series of standardized physical movements in order to induce the generation of particles in the body box, for a specific duration
- Particle count levels are measured, and compared against the baseline. The overall efficacy of the air shower under test and shower cycle is calculated. Shower cleaning efficiency at various particle sizes is also characterized.
- The test is repeated multiple times, to gather sufficient data and eliminate any bias. Exposure Time In Air Shower (SEC) Exposure Time In Air Shower (SEC)
Types of Air Shower
- High velocity shower jet in excess of 20 m/s ensure efficient scrubbing action to remove particulate matter.
- Operating modes can be programmed in the field.
- Microprocessor controller supervises all functions.
- Mini-pleated HEPA filtration achieves > 99.99% typical efficiency at 0.3 micron particles maintain class ISO7.
- A disposable pre-filter with 85% arrestance extends the life of the main filter.
- An emergency stop button is mounted on both sides of the shower.
- Indicator lights mounted on both sides of the air shower exterior regulate traffic flow in and out of the clean room.
- Permanently lubricated direct drive centrifugal blowers are used in conjunction with stainless steel air nozzles.